In partnership with Far Eastern University, you’re invited to Map the Philippines at our Quiapo Walking Tour and Mapping Party on May 7th! #mapPHquiapo #mapPH
Join one or both events, everyone is welcome and the event is free!
9:00 – 12:00 Quiapo Neighbourhood Walking Tour. Meet at San Sebastian Church steps.
12:00 – 5:00 Mapping Party at the Rooftop of FEU’s Institute of Technology
Click on the green Register button above to secure your spot! You’ll receive more details and tips after registration.
During the Walking Tour you’ll hear stories behind the color and character of the Quiapo district, the former downtown of Manila. The Walking Tour is part of the 10th Anniversary of Jane’s Walks taking place in over 150 cities around the world. Learn more about the tour and Jane’s Walk.
Tour stops include:
- Quiapo Market for truly Filipino crafts and their popular lumpia, hopia, noodles and curry stalls.
- San Sebastian Basilica, the only all steel church in Asia, built in Belgium in the late 1880s, fitted with German stained glass and painted beautifully by the arts school which evolved to become UP Fine Arts.
- Historical Hidalgo Street lined with 300 year-old homes and Bahay Nakpil-Bautista, home of heroes of the 1896 revolution.
- Far Eastern University is a living art space, recognized by UNESCO for successful heritage preservation. Its five Art Deco buildings were designed by Pablo Antonio, Sr., National Artist for Architecture.
At the Mapping Party you’ll learn the basics of neighborhood mapping on OpenStreetMap, the Wikipedia of maps.
- Share your photos on Mapillary to help highlight Quiapo heritage preservation and community needs.
- Help update maps and create Wikipedia entries for the historical places and spaces of Quiapo.
- Learn how to map and report community needs.
* We will have computer stations available.